NS-HP Firmware Update (SBAS, BDS, Float RTK, GPGST)

S2525F8-BD-RTK & NS-HP

Moderator: Jason Lin

Jason Lin

NS-HP Firmware Update (SBAS, BDS, Float RTK, GPGST)

Postby Jason Lin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:44 pm

NS-HP update firmware with below features is now available from the NS-HP product page:http://navspark.mybigcommerce.com/ns-hp-rtk-capable-gps-receiver/

1. SBAS is now added for RTK. This is especially useful for users in North America; the additional 3 SBAS satellites much improves RTK availability over different time of day.

2. Previously not shown Beidou satellites are now made visible. Up to 6 Beidou satellites can be used by NS-HP.

3. GPGST error estimate message is added. See http://navspark.mybigcommerce.com/content/S2525F8-RTK_v4.pdf

4. Additional Float RTK mode is now supported. Useful for decimeter-level accuracy applications when in environment/condition that RTK fix is not possible. Below shows some example results. Using the latest GNSS Viewer program from the NavSpark RESOURCE page, NS-HP can be programmed to Float RTK mode. http://navspark.mybigcommerce.com/content/GNSS_Viewer.zip

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (82.06 KiB) Viewed 4902 times

Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (396.27 KiB) Viewed 4902 times

Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (516.72 KiB) Viewed 4902 times

Untitled3.png
Untitled3.png (48.17 KiB) Viewed 4902 times

Untitled4.png
Untitled4.png (32.72 KiB) Viewed 4902 times

5.The NS-HP firmware update supports additional Moving Base mode for precision baseline and heading applications; rover needs to be set to Moving Base Mode, base need to be set to Kinematic Mode. When base antenna is placed at back of a car, rover antenna is placed at front of a car, the moving base mode output heading orientation will be same as the normally used GPS heading orientation.

NS-HP-5 and NS-HP-10 update firmware does not have this Moving Base feature yet; we are still working on it.

Untitled5.png
Untitled5.png (30.2 KiB) Viewed 4902 times

Untitled6.png
Untitled6.png (31.48 KiB) Viewed 4902 times

jdesbonnet

Re: NS-HP Firmware Update (SBAS, Float RTK, GPGST)

Postby jdesbonnet » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 pm

I just applied this firmware to my RTK test setup and now I can't talk to the module. I used the latest GNSS_Viewer (2.0.196) and uploaded
STI_02.00.55-01.07.27_V8_RTK_Slave_CRC_ad2b_57600_20160318.bin to my 5Hz NS-HP module.
The update seemed to have gone smoothly "Success 221056 bytes transferred".

Now I can't seem to make any contact with it, via GNSS_Viewer or by opening a terminal to the serial port. Reflashing doesn't work either (no contact). I tried different serial port speeds and power cycling.

Can I factory reset this somehow?

Joe.

Jason Lin

Postby Jason Lin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:51 pm

Please see section 9 of user's guide on firmware update: http://navspark.mybigcommerce.com/content/NS-HP-User-Guide.pdf

Bottom of page-26 has recovery procedure if something goes wrong.

JWScotsat

Postby JWScotsat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:55 pm

I have updated both of my modules. They are responding correctly, haven't tested with open skies yet.

Can you tell me what data to parse in order to get the heading of the gps pair? I assume it will be a NM0183 sentence from the rover that I need?

Thanks,

JW

Jason Lin

Postby Jason Lin » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:02 pm

Yes, the rover NMEA message will give heading.

JWScotsat

Postby JWScotsat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Jason Lin wrote:Yes, the rover NMEA message will give heading.

Hi Jason, can you tell me which message will give the correct heading? Will this be with respect to True North?

Jason Lin

Postby Jason Lin » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:55 pm

RMC and VTG has normal GPS heading information. In moving base mode, rover RMC/VTG gives precise heading even when not moving. It's without magnetic inclination compensation.

JWScotsat

Postby JWScotsat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:13 pm

Jason Lin wrote:RMC and VTG has normal GPS heading information. In moving base mode, rover RMC/VTG gives precise heading even when not moving. It's without magnetic inclination compensation.

Hi Jason,

I hooked up the 2 NS-HPs to the roof of my car. Rover at the front of the car, base at the rear of the car. Generally, once I got RTK lock it worked well. I recorded the data of this trip.

However, I have an issue with the RMC/VTG output for alternative compass use. These figures are based on the direction of travel, not the Rover's relative position to the base. This means when I reverse in the car, the heading changes by 180 degrees because I'm now travelling in the opposite direction. However, the antenna positions have not changed, the front of the car has not changed, the heading should still show that the rover is infront of the base and not behind. See attached file for an example. My starting heading where I stopped was ~260 degrees, once I reversed it instantly changed to ~80 degrees (a 180 degree change).

My application is to use 2 NS-HPs as an alternative to a magnetic compass. They have to be able to ignore movement direction changes due to reverse or sway movement. Is there some way the new moving baseline can output the heading of the rover with respect to the base at all times? Or is it possible to extract the ENU-baseline values from the NMEA data?

JW - Reverse RTK moving Baseline NS-HP.txt
(26.18 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

Jason Lin

Postby Jason Lin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:15 am

PSTI,032 message output definition is added to page-22 of the datasheet: http://navspark.mybigcommerce.com/content/S2525F8-RTK_v5.pdf

Field #9 has heading info you need. My mistake giving wrong info earlier.

JWScotsat

Postby JWScotsat » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Jason Lin wrote:PSTI,032 message output definition is added to page-22 of the datasheet: http://navspark.mybigcommerce.com/content/S2525F8-RTK_v5.pdf

Field #9 has heading info you need. My mistake giving wrong info earlier.

Hi Jason, this sentence works as expected. Please see my other thread for further details. I'd appreciate your feedback. I will stop hi-jacking this thread and leave it for discussion on the firmware update.

Return to “RTK Modules”